We are committed to promoting understanding of Muslim issues and harmony within the community.
Staff and students affiliated with the Centre are actively involved in community outreach programs, that vary from lectures and seminars to forums and commentary. Sometimes we work in collaboration with other organisations.
CMSS organized a Fundraising Auction for Nepal Earthquake 2015.
Open Mic: CMSS organised a night to promote young talent as well as raise funds for the Nepal Earthquake Victims 2015.
Model UN: Members of CMSS recently ran a Model UN session for the year 12 students attending the Fairway Summer School in January 2014.
On 11 September 2011, the Centre held a Symposium on Rebuilding Harmony: 9/11 Ten Years On at the University Club, UWA, with the help of the US Consulate General in Perth. The event engaged members of the wider community, including a strong representation from the Australian Islamic College, in discussing measures to go beyond hurt to building peace and harmony across different communities.
The Centre has raised funds for victims of floods in Pakistan in 2010.
Members of the Centre have presented lectures or participated in these events:
- Dr Leila Ben Mcharek, The Australian Institute of International Affairs for Western Australia Inc. - the Arab spring and Tunisia, April 2015
- Dr Shamim Samani, Contemporary Muslim women - moving beyond the archetypes, UWA Extension Lecture, July 2012
- Dr Ali Mozaffari, Urban murals of Tehran - a discussion on consumerism and political intent, UWA Extension, August 2012
- Professor Samina Yasmeen, International Day for the Tony Blair Faith Foundation, Yale University, USA, April 2012
- Professor Yasmeen, public lecture on Shari’a in Islam: Meanings and Implications for Australia to the Speakers Forum, Weld Club, Perth, 7 May 2012
- Inspiring Journeys of Agents of Change: International Women’s Day Celebration, 9th March 2012,. Speakers included Raihanity Abdul Jalil, Margaret Chiramba, Zel Iscel
- Brig Salik, Rizwan Zeb and Professor Yasmeen, series of lectures on Muslim Responses to 9/11, Mature Students Learning Association, 2011
- Professor Yasmeen, panel discussion on Women in the Middle East, Chamber of Commerce and Industry, 2011
- Brig Salik and Professor Yasmeen, SBS Insight Program on Osama bin Laden’s assassination and Pakistan-US Relations, May 2011.